- Jul 16, 2021
- 0 Comment(s)
5 Best Food That Increase Breast Milk Supply- Post Natal Care
When it comes to your little one, there's no chance to compromise! Because obviously, you have waited nine months to see, hold, and nurture your baby. Postnatal care is significantly vital for you and your baby during the first four to six weeks after delivery. Breastfeeding is one of the important verticals of post-pregnancy care as it impacts the baby and the mother both.
So mothers come along with us through this editorial to know more about how to increase breast milk production.
TIP- It is always important to ask your doctor or dietician before consuming any new food for increasing breast milk. As some food that may suit you but trouble your baby. For instance- they may infuse constipation and gas issues to the baby.
Benefits of breastfeeding for mom and the baby-
Turning from a lady to a mother is an absolute magic. Isn't it, moms! Indeed, nursing comes with numerous health benefits for the baby and mom. In addition, lactation is helpful for mothers for several reasons; let's see how.
Breastfeeding Benefits for the mother-
Breastfeeding for mom reduces the chances of anemia and helps her heal fast from childbirth. It burns about 500 calories a day to build and balance the breast milk supply, promoting quick weight loss. It stimulates the contraction of the uterus so that it can decrease in normal size. Also, it helps decrease the chances of acquiring uterus infections and additionally reduces the time of postpartum bleeding.
Breastmilk benefits for the baby-
Breastfed contains antibodies that help the little life fight diseases and ailments, building a stronger immune system. In addition, it nourishes the baby as breastmilk is considered to be a wholesome liquid meal. It can help in the digestion process, fights infection, and covers water content for the body. Breastmilk is the baby's first meal outside the womb and provides the required nutrition for healthy growth.
Reasons for low breastmilk production-
But at times, it may happen that you are not able to lactate enough to the baby, and then worrying concerning- this is absolute. However, there can be certain reasons for your question- why am I not able to lactate enough? Either it's because of the medication you are taking, or maybe you lack the required nutrients. Moreover, you may be tired, fatigued, or not slept well. An exhausted body can also sometimes contributing to a decreased milk supply in mothers. So, moms, Sleep well and take a rest! You just need to sleep, rest, and feed- that's the role for the whole day.
5 Best Foods That Increase Breast Milk Supply-
As a mother, you always wish to provide the best for your baby. And breastfeeding is a natural aspect of nourishing the baby for healthy development and a true blessing for the mothers.
Here are 5 foods that may help boost milk supply:
- Fenugreek may help increase breast milk supply, specifically in the initial days. They are known as powerful galactagogues (food that promotes milk supply in mothers) and cover estrogen-like compounds that encourage breastfeeding. However, this can make babies gassier, which indeed makes the baby colicky.
- Oatmeal, oat milk, oat smoothie, oat crunch bars, or oat cookies- any form of oatmeal can work. One of the whys and wherefores for the low milk supply can be less amount of iron in the body. Oatmeal is rich in iron and might help increase breast milk supply in women.
- Lack of nutrients may decrease breastmilk supply. Eating green leafy veggies which are rich in folate, minerals, calcium, and vitamins can help enhance breastmilk supply in mothers. So have a good green bowl, mommies!
- Fresh orange carrots are a great source of Vitamin A for boosting milk production. In addition, carrot juice intake or regular raw carrots can help improve the lactation process.
- Brown Rice is also an excellent food to consume in the initial weeks of postnatal care. It helps stimulate hormones that produce breastmilk in mothers. Having brown in any form can help increase breastmilk supply.
Other ways that help improve breastmilk production-
Nursing is the only way to improve breastmilk production. Feed the baby when he/she wants and considerably for the first few weeks after introducing breastmilk. The more you nurse, the additional milk your body produces.
Rest as much as you can. Your body needs to relax after giving birth to a new life. Have good nights of sleep that help reducing stress, fatigue, and tiredness. Then, just repeat this cycle:-nursing- eating-sleeping. Take the help of your partner to do house chores for adequate postpartum rest.
Always consider taking advice from your doctor. Nobody can guide you as perfectly as them.
To The Bottom Line-
Breastfeeding is a blessing because there is nothing more satisfying than the time spent nourishing your baby. There are times when you have to deal with the concerns of breastfeeding. But for the food part- this is the guide for the 5 best foods for increasing breast milk supply.
But, always consult medical administration before eating any new thing or trying anything that is not under the doctor's supervision. Remember to drink enough water and have nutritious food.