Home- "A place where children feel loved, comforted, appreciated, secure, and safe." Precisely home is where they grow from just being a little one because all their natural progressions begin at "HOME."
The budding minds are full of curiosity, creativity, and experimenting. They develop and grow for their future dreams with learning at home.
But, what if their well-being is harmed at the safest place because of their unintended actions only. Worried? To a broader sense- sometimes the kids can hurt themselves when not under the supervision of an adult. Maybe, while playing with toys, eating food, crawling/ walking, etc.
However, the risk of getting injured can be minimized by teaching them with safety measures and, most evidently, by preventing it. Take a tour of this reading aid for safety rules for children at home.
Here are 8 Important Safety Rules for Kids At Home
1.Splashing in the bathtub with water is always a fun activity for both the mom and the child. Drowning can take place in less than an inch of water, making bathtubs, sinks, and pools a cause of great danger. For safety, it's necessary to prevent situations that may lead to such accidents. Never leave the little love unattended, even for just a second. If the phone or doorbell rings while your young child is in the tub, pick him/her up, wrap in a towel and take along with you. Do not leave the baby alone: It takes only a few seconds for sinking to occur.
2. The budding minds are always curious to take each new thing in their hands. Indeed, they get attracted to the colors, smells, and other such things. So, it is important to take care that they should be distanced from cleaning agents such as detergents, cleaners. Also, keep your medicines and medicinal products out of reach of children, as they might swallow them. A must-follow tip for children safety at home from medicines- Whenever you make them have their medicines, don't lure them by saying-it's a candy/toffee because they would see every medicine as candy and might gulp it.
3. Most commonly, kids(especially in their crawling stage) get bruises/ burns from hot water/ hot food/ irons. The munchkins aren't smart enough to know about hold and cold. So, it is your foremost responsibility to check that the iron is placed where the little one may not reach(each time you iron clothes). Always check the water temperature by yourself before a hot water bath. Do not carry the tot along with you while serving or placing hot food on the table.
4. Electrical safety is the other area to look at closely. This is usual for baby's always to place their fingers in the sockets of electricity board. Try shifting the electricity boards that children may not able to touch easily. Have a regular check of your electrical items, such as refrigerators, ovens, A/C, geysers, etc., from a professional electrician to avoid any mishappening.
5. Be cautious for children as they might get in contact with house fires. Always keep candles, matchboxes, lighters, and cigarettes away from them. Place fire alarm in your house. Keep a check on gas stoves and cylinders too.
6. Usually, children, while learning to walk, fall at times. Even when they master walking, it turns out to be an arduous task for controlling them. They disappear in just a blink of an eye. But you always need to be alert while they are near the staircase, windows, balcony, or any such place above the ground level.
7. The little ones in their growing age are habitual of putting anything into their mouth. Be it an edible item or not, they can swallow everything they see around. So you should be watchful that they should not eat anything that is hard to chew, which might choke their throat, such as popcorn, toffees, whole grapes, litchis, etc. Also, be attentive for coins, pins, buttons, etc., as the baby might gulp these into their mouth.
8. Strangulation/ Suffocation is another thing to be careful of. While preparing your baby for sleep, ensure to clear his/her bed from toys. Don't put too heavy blankets or pillows as it can lead to suffocation sometimes. This is one of the most important safety guidelines for kids at home. Avoid long hanging curtains, or you can tie them so that the baby will not be able to pull them down.
Take Home A Message
There are many sides to look at for the safety of small children at home. Not only at home but outside too. It's obviously not an easy task to take care of the tiny tot.
Try to be connected with the baby personally as much as you can. Avoid leaving the baby alone at home, without any adult. Their budding minds, curiosity, experimenting is all that gives birth to these mishappenings. However, these all creativities are part and parcel of a baby's growing age, but as parents, you have to take note of each activity they do. Remember! "Prevention is better than Cure."
Happy and Safe Fostering!